Thursday 22 March 2012

This Grand canal










  


This Grand canal

I walked with Kavanagh in my hand,
along my place, astride our grand,
a voice would speak, I’d understand-
to take my leave, for nothing planned.
~~~
I felt the mood, for through my eyes,
saw lovers kiss, full of the joys,
of swan’s symbolic, girls and boys
would shape a heart, majestic poise.
~~~
Live liquid mirror of great delight-
reflected barge, tread waters might,
while lock fills level within my sight,
on passing through, this minds respite.
~~~
Uncompassed with each dazzled thought,
dishevelled looks, fit old ragged cloth,
fair vagabond, bedecked, not bought,
a sentence for this sage is sought.
 ~~~
A history holds, in well walked miles-
our cultured treasures archived in files,
embodied each through different styles,
strong memories, of tears and smiles.
~~~
Tall-sweeping willows drape the space,
of shaded seating, I oft’ did grace,
broad pleasant steps, it leisured pace,
at peace with life, in its embrace.
~~~
A gentile bow asked, of nature’s blest,
summon summer breeze, upon request,
to fan the day, time for ripples rest-
now pen and poet will begin their quest.
~~~
I inhale the beauty of this day;
and hold my breath, so it will stay,
to fill my soul in every way,
This Grand canal, A sigh, I say.

 copyright MCB

4 comments:

  1. I love this poem and particularly the reference to Kavanagh.

    Love the blog also. It's like discovering treasure. Rachael

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachael,
    thank you so very much for your lovely comment on the poem and glad you enjoyed your trip around my blog, you are welcome anytime.

    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a cool poem Michael well written ....just like a walk
    down the canal

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jack, thank you for dropping by my blog and leaving this encouraging comment. I am delighted that this particular poem caught your eye and resonated so well with you.

    Cheers
    Michael

    ReplyDelete